Staff Services: Jennifer Valentine, REHS, Devin Delgado, EHST, Katie Wasky, EHST, Emma Tobin, EHST
As of January 1, 2015, the State of Ohio’s new comprehensive sewage regulations are effective.

To view the new sewage treatment regulations and related information,

Fairfield County remains one of the fastest growing counties in the state. With nearly 82,000 new people expected to move to Fairfield County by the year 2030, the county's infrastructure will soon begin to feel pressure from this continued growth. With this growth comes an increase in the number of sewage treatment systems.

Your Fairfield County Health Department is responsible for overseeing the siting, design, and installation of Household Sewage Treatment System (HSTS), Small Flow Onsite Sewage Treatment Systems (SFOSTS), and Gray Water Recycling Systems (GWRS). HSTS are septic systems for 1, 2 or 3 family dwelling homes; SFSOTS are sewage treatment systems that treat not more than one thousand gallons of sewage per day. For example, a SFOSTS might be used in a church or small business not accessible to a municipal sewage system. Gray Water Recycling Systems are systems that treat and reuse or recycle back into the environment wastewater discharged from lavatories, bathtubs, showers, clothes washers, and laundry sinks that does not contain food wastes or bodily wastes.

The HSTS and SFOSTS program involves issuing sewage treatment system (STS) permits for new installations, replacement systems and alterations permits within Fairfield County. Your health department also registers household sewage treatment installers, service providers, and pumpers, who operate with Fairfield County.

Any installation or alteration work performed on a sewage treatment system requires permits from FDH. Once the work is completed by a licensed and bonded installer, a final inspection must be performed by a Registered Sanitarian from FDH before the system can be backfilled and put into service. FDH maintains a list of installers, service providers, and pumpers that are licensed and bonded for work in Fairfield County.
    Contact the Fairfield County Engineer's office to apply for an address. The lot will also need to be cleared of any high weeds, crops, etc. prior to design review by the Fairfield County Health Department.

    Please note, the Fairfield County Health Department does not register, certify, or recommend soil professionals. All applications for a new sewage treatment system permit will require a soil testing report submitted with the application.  This will apply to every lot, regardless of the size of the lot or the date it was created.

  • FDH will return a Calculation Worksheet with HSTS options and information based on the soil report you submitted. 
    Provide the Calculation Worksheet to your septic system installer, designer or engineer to use as guidance to design your HSTS.

  • Choose an installer from the list of installers registered in Fairfield County. 
    All installers on the list are licensed and bonded.  The Fairfield Department of Health does not rate or recommend sewage treatment installers.  Therefore, you may wish to contact the Better Business Bureau prior to hiring one.

  • Submit the completed design proposal + soil reports
    Required design proposal and soil reports, permit application and appropriate fee to the Fairfield County Health Department.


Sewage Alteration vs. Replacement

Not sure if you need to apply for an alteration or a replacement permit for an existing sewage treatment system? Answer these questions to help you determine which permit is right for you.


  • Are you experiencing a failure within your leaching (i.e. surfacing of effluent) and need to replace it?
  • Are you abandoning your existing system/leaching to relocate it somewhere else on the property.
    If the answer is "yes" to questions 1 or 2, you need to apply for a Replacement Permit.
    If the answer is no to both questions, continue...
  • Are you maintaining all existing components of your sewage treatment system, but adding additional treatment (i.e. filter) to work in conjunction with the existing system?
  • Are you maintaining all existing components of your sewage treatment system, but adding additional tank capacity to reach compliance with tank sizing requirements?
  • Are you maintaining existing leaching or discharge but replacing a component with similar parts?
    If you answered "yes" to questions 3, 4, or 5, you need to apply for an alteration permit.
    If you answered "no" to all questions or have further questions, please call 740-652-2800 to speak to a sanitarian for more information.