1550 Sheridan Drive
Suite 100 (map)
Lancaster, Ohio 43130
FAIRFIELD COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT: MOSQUITOES INFORMATION
Summer is a time for fun outdoor activities, but it is also a time for mosquito bites that can make individuals ill.
Mosquito related diseases that people can get from mosquitoes in Ohio include West Nile virus, St. Louis encephalitis, LaCrosse encephalitis and Eastern Equine encephalitis. People can take simple and inexpensive precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes and to eliminate mosquito breeding sites on their property.
TIPS TO REDUCE YOUR EXPOSURE TO MOSQUITOES + MOSQUITO RELATED DISEASES:
To avoid possible infection from mosquito bites:
* Avoid mosquito infested areas and stay indoors after dusk.
* Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts of light color.
* Insect repellents should be used outdoors in mosquito-infested areas. Use insect repellent containing
DEET and follow the label directions; generally a concentration of 30 percent DEET for adults and
10 percent or less for children is advisable.
To eliminate mosquito breeding sites near your home:
* Eliminate standing water from your property.
* Remove all discarded tires and other water-holding containers, such as tin cans and unused flower
pots from your property.
* Make sure allroof gutters are clean and properly draining.
* Clean and chlorinate pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. Keep them empty when not in use and drain
water from pool covers.
* Change water in bird baths weekly.
* Keep lawns mowed to discourage breeding.
* Fill holes in trees with cement or caulking.